Thursday, September 13, 2012

Concerns

Holla peeps! I've had a very productive day since I've been up since SIX AM. Mornings are not my thing but I've been working on figuring out my next steps in regards to my education and I figured the early worm gets the bird!
Wait. That's not right.
ANYWAY, I recently added a video requesting some correspondence with a blogger named Lisa who has some fantastic ideas about education, and I am really hoping that she can give me some good advice on where to go from here.

I also came across a post from someone named Brent, who is a fellow dropout. I really would like to respond to his ideas but I am slightly concerned/confused about his message to us.

He starts off by suggesting that we run from formal education and do not look back, but then I feel like his message gets slightly sarcastic, suggesting that he probably regrets dropping out. He said he dropped out of high school as a junior to "drop into college", which is pretty much what I am looking to do right now.
He suggests that we, the Ed Zeds and myself, talk to people and find out what their regrets are, as well as judge the messenger to find out if this particular person is someone that we would like to become.
This is an aspect of our journey that I suppose stopped me in my tracks. I do not regret dropping out, I feel that it was the right decision for me at the time, and I very strongly feel that everything happens for a reason. If I had not dropped out when I did, I would never have learned that I need to find a way to get a formal education in order to go where I want to go in life. However I do not feel that this means that myself or any of the other Ed Zeds have to conform to the formality of the education system in order to be considered educated.
I suppose with this in mind, his message frustrates me a little. Yes I want to be successful, yes I know that I need to have a job in order to make money to support myself, however I do not and will not ever believe that my happiness needs to be sacrificed in order for me to be educated. Will I like everything about what I will do in life? Of course not, and I do not anticipate to. But I would at least like to have an education that does not make me want to simply STICK IT OUT.
However, I do believe that at this juncture in my journey with the program, I have realized that I can get formal education under my own terms. I can take a placement exam and go to college and really run my own education.
So I suppose, to put it simply, I am not concerned that I will have regrets. I feel that I am making the right decisions to become the person I am supposed to be. I feel that everything that has happened has put me where I am meant to be right now, and my future is looking bright.

Good talk!
Stay excellent.
Edwina

No comments:

Post a Comment